Saturday 23 February 2013

KiliKids Project

As expected there were several projects for me to choose from to volunteer with.  After considering my options I chose to work at an orphanage as I knew I wanted to work with kids.   The orphanage is called KiliKids; the goal of this orphanage is to be a self sustaining farm/orphanage.  It is about a 45 minute commute each way to the orphanage between walking and taking local transportation via the DalaDala; a mini bus/van. 



Wow, I had no idea the treat I was in for by working there!!!  The location of the orphanage is breathtaking! It's a farm with that beautiful view of Kilimanjaro, with lavish gardens of vegetables, tropical fruits and plants.  Their drinking water is collected from a fresh spring which is nestled in a magical oasis, like a mini rainforest. I drink the water from that spring as well, how great to drink water straight from the source!  I love to go down to this oasis as it is beautiful, relaxing and peaceful. 

The gardens, plants and trees are used for eating, making soap, natural pesticide, etc. They have compost toilets which along with the animal waste is used to fertilize the gardens, the weeds/plant roughage is used to feed the cows or as mulch for the garden.   It's very inspiring to see and be a part of what they are creating and how they are self sustaining.

I spend the mornings working in the gardens, lunch time connecting with the other volunteers and local staff and the afternoon being with the children; my favorite part!!!  The children are so loving and playful with joy in their faces which melt my heart each time I see them. For people who have so little material items, they seem to be so happy and grateful for what they have...what really matters (in my opinion), family and friendships.  It is difficult to learn about why these children are in the orphanage - they have been through many hardships such as abuse, alcohol or drug addicted parents, etc. However it is comforting to know that there are many organizations around the world such as KiliKids who are committed to providing safe and loving homes for these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment