Saturday 23 February 2013

Settling in...

I arrived in Tanzania Monday evening and things are well.  At first things were a bit tough for me;  dealing with the jetlag, the heat, the culture shock and hostel living again.  However after a few days in things were going well.  The hostel is nice, clean and safe; http://hostelhoff.com/.  We have running water for dishes, showers, laundry, toilets, etc.  We are provided with breakfast and dinner at the hostel;  the cooks are excellent;  veggie options and lots of food!  The project I am working on provides lunch each day - so that is great as well.  After only being here 5 days, I am present to the luxuries I have at home and reminded about fortunate I am to have all that I do. 
The people staying at the hostel are very friendly and fun.  We spend time together in the afternoon/evenings after we finish work at our projects.  At first I was concerned about connecting with the others as most of them are 10-15 years younger.  This had me feeling lonely for my friends and family at home but then I remembered another thing I was committed to on this trip...creating connections.  That evening  I went out and visited with the group and the friendships began...it's really about getting out of my head and into my heart.  That reminds me of a great song by Sheryl Crow, Out of Our Heads:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJNjpSOiXG8

No comments:

Post a Comment